Summertime in the Belgrades
August 2 – 8
STOP MIFOIL Update: Progress Being Made
by Lynn Matson
Divers are in the water; survey work is ongoing; and plant identification training is underway. It's all part of implementing another very aggressive action plan this year in our battle with invasive variable milfoil on Great Pond. And the news from the front is good. We are gaining on this very real threat to our lakes and community.
As of July 23, 14,655 gallons of milfoil had been removed from Great Meadow Stream and North Bay. That compares to about 22,000 at the same time last year.
The decrease is due to there being less milfoil in the lake, not from a scaled-back effort. We actually have the same numbers of divers pulling this year as we did last year. We just started with a smaller infestation this year. That was the result of so much milfoil's being removed in 2012 and the more normal spring weather this spring, which helped keep the milfoil in check a bit longer.
The STOP MIFOIL team has also surveyed all the at-risk shoreline on Great Pond and is currently at work on Long Pond. Only one new small patch has been found and it was quickly removed. Other team members are implementing the new Adopt A Shoreline program, which invites road associations and camp owners to regularly check their shoreline for outbreaks of invasive milfoil. To date, 63 individuals in eight associations have received milfoil identification training. If you are interested in joining their ranks, please contact Milfoil Program Director Toni Pied at 215-2685.
The STOP MILFOIL Capital Campaign fund also continues to grow. To date, $85,000 has been contributed in 2013. Our goal is $150,000. That is a very important number, because we have a $150,000 matching gift grant. That means, if we raise $150,000, the fund will match it with $150,000 for a total contribution this year of $300,000. If you can possibly help us reach this goal your gift will be greatly appreciated.
How You Can Help
- Learn to identify variable milfoil and be on the look out for it when you are on or near the water. Everyone needs to be vigilant to keep the milfoil from spreading and taking over our lakes.
- Check your boats, trailers, kayaks, anchors, fishing lures and duck decoys and hunting blinds to make sure you are not unknowingly carrying milfoil into our lakes. It only takes a small plant fragment to start a whole new infestation.
- Sign up for Adopt A Shoreline. You can enjoy our lakes and help protect them at the same time.
- Make a donation to the STOP MILFOIL Capital Campaign. Make your check out to "BLA — STOP MILFOIL" and send it to BLA, P.O. Box 551, Belgrade Lakes, Maine 04918. Your donation will be doubled, if you have given in the past, and tripled in you are a first time donor!
For more information on our STOP MILFOIL campaign, please see the Belgrade Lakes Association website. Thanks for all your support. With your help we can and will beat invasive milfoil!
- We Can Control Milfoil in Messalonskee (August 7 – 13, 2015)
- This is Why We CBI (July 31 – August 6, 2015)
- STOP MILFOIL Progress Report (August 1 – 7, 2014)
- Friends of Messalonskee Lake Launch New DASH Boat (June 27 – July 3, 2014)
- The Lakes of Maine from a CBI Perspective (August 23 – September, 2013)
- "Stop Milfoil" Awarded $150,000 Grant (June 14 – 20, 2013)
- 2012 Milfoil Action Plan Assessment (August 24 – Fall, 2012)
- Maine's Milfoil Boat Sticker Program (August 17 – 23, 2012)
- Prevention is Still the Key to Success (August 10 – 16, 2012)
- On the Journey to Controlling Invasive Aquatic Plants (August 10 – 16, 2012)
- How is the Milfoil Being Removed and What Does it All Cost? (August 3 – 9, 2012)
- The 2012 Stop Milfoil Action Plan (July 27 – August 2, 2012)
- Other Invaders in Maine: There is More Than Milfoil to Stop! (July 20 – 26, 2012)
- What Options Do We Have To Control This Invasive Threat? (July 13 – 19, 2012)
- Milfoil: A Community Problem, A Community Solution (July 6 – 12, 2012)
- A Delicate Plant That Causes Big Problems (June 29 – July 5, 2012)
- Milfoil Hitches a Ride North (June 22 – 28, 2012)
- Milfoil in Your Fish Tank (June 15 – 21, 2012)
- Inspecting Boats is First Line of Defense in Preventing Invasive Plants in Maine Lakes (June 15 – 21, 2012)
- Milfoil In Great Pond (June 1 – 14, 2012)
- DASH Boat Helps Control Milfoil (August 19, 2011)
- More Aliens and UFO's (Unidentified Floating Objects) (July 15, 2011)
- Milfoil Infestation On Great Pond (August 27, 2010)
- Climate Change: Coming Soon to a Planet Near You! (August 20, 2010)
- Milfoil: It's No Time to Let Our Guard Down! (August 6, 2010)
- Milfoil Musing (July 23, 2010)
- New Milfoil Infestation in Belgrades Spurs Rapid Response (July 23, 2010)
- More Aliens and UFO's (July 2, 2010)
Redisplay This Article in Printer-Friendly Format
<— Previous Summaries Next —>